Rockland County Weapons Offense Defense Attorney
Understanding the Charges Against You
The state of New York enforces strict gun and weapon laws and slaps stiff penalties on those found in violation. In some cases, possession of a weapon is a secondary crime that exacerbates the punishment of the primary crime, e.g., possession of a firearm while committing a robbery. In other cases, merely having a prohibited weapon in your possession could mean indictment.
Because convictions can mean prison time and it will take a good amount of research and preparation to craft a good defense, consult a weapons offense defense lawyer in Rockland County immediately if you face charges. At The Law Office of Jonathan B. Ripps, we have been defending weapons offenses in New York State for over 20 years.
Types of Gun & Weapons Charges in New York
There are numerous types of weapons charges that can be filed in New York, including:
- Possessing illegal weapons
- Possession of a weapon by someone who’s not permitted to have them, such as a convicted felon, someone on probation or parole, or someone who’s been in a mental institution
- Imitation gun, BB gun, airsoft gun, and paintball gun offenses
- Having a legal gun without a permit or license
- Juvenile possession of a weapon
- Possession of a weapon during the commission of a crime or at a school
- Possession of a firearm for an unlawful purpose
While the exact charge or charges you face might include any number of offenses, for the most part, all gun and weapons charges will be based on at least one of four factors:
- Having a dangerous, illegal weapon
- Having a weapon for an illegal purpose
- Having a legal weapon without a proper permit
- Having any type of weapon if you are specifically and explicitly prohibited
What Kind of Penalties Do Weapons Convictions Bring?
The penalties you face depend on the particular type of offense:
- Criminal possession of a weapon in the first degree is a Class B Violent Felony (up to 25 years in prison)
- Criminal possession of a weapon in the second degree is a Class C Violent Felony (up to 15 years in prison)
- Criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree is a Class D Violent Felony (up to 7 years in prison)
Multiple or repeat offenses could mean stiffer penalties. To determine exactly what you’re up against, speak to an experienced criminal defense attorney who knows the laws in New York State.
Defending Against Gun and Weapons Charges
There are numerous types of defenses that a defense attorney might use in gun and weapon cases. Your attorney will look at the specifics surrounding your case and determine the best approach for your situation.
For instance, here are two possibilities:
- Illegal search: If the police found the weapon in your car or home and didn’t have a search warrant, the evidence may be suppressible and might lead to dismissed charges.
- First-time offender: If this is your first offense, you might qualify for one of New York’s first-time offender programs, which means you may be able to avoid jail time.
A Weapons Defense Attorney Can Build Your Case
There are many ways to approach gun and weapons charges. Jonathan B. Ripps, Rockland County weapons offense lawyer can discuss your case with you, explain what to expect in the legal process, and determine the best defenses to support your case.
Call the Law Office of Jonathan B. Ripps at (845) 209-0223 to schedule your free legal consultation. We offer 24/7 availability.
Experience You Can Count On
Attorney Jonathan B. Ripps is a Former Assistant District Attorney. This gives him the upper hand as he has a clear understanding of both sides of the law.
Free Initial Consultation
At The Law Office of Jonathan B. Ripps, we offer free initial consultations to get a better understanding of your case and to make sure our firm is a good fit for you.
The Law Office of Jonathan B. Ripps prides itself on putting clients first. We work hard to make sure every client receives excellent communication and the personalized attention.
Exceptional Track Record of Success
Attorney Jonathan B. Ripps has successfully handled thousands of cases including those of celebrities.
Over Two Decades of Legal Experience
For over 20 years our firm has fought to protect the accused and those injured due to the negligence of others.
Accessible to Clients 24/7
We understand that time is of the essence. That is why our firm is available 24/7 to best serve the needs of our clients.