Rockland County Domestic Violence Defense Lawyer
Protecting the Rights of the Accused throughout New York
Due to the intense emotions present at the site of a domestic violence (DV) accusation, people are often arrested and charged with crimes on hearsay alone. If you have been charged with domestic violence, police and prosecutors are likely already working on a case to have you sentenced. You need the help of a Rockland County domestic violence defense attorney right away. With over 20 years of successful representation, The Law Office of Jonathan B. Ripps is the firm you need on your side.
Being Accused of Domestic Violence
Domestic violence is a crime that carries a lot of emotional weight. Just hearing the phrase is enough for many people to make judgments without knowing anything about what happened. Attorney Jonathan B. Ripps understands that hearing these accusations against you can be a heavy burden to bear. Once you have been charged with the crime, your sentencing will depend on the situation.
Factors considered during your sentencing may include:
- Whether or not you have a history of domestic violence: If this is seen as a first offense, there may be a reason to question whether or not the prevailing narrative is true.
- The extent of the crime: Certain kinds of domestic violence are judged more harshly than others, such as when strangulation occurs.
- Your relationship to the victim: Certain victims are going to cause harsher judgments than others, such as if the victim was a child or the person had a disability.
Protecting Yourself from DV Accusations
When police arrive on the scene for a domestic violence call, odds are there will be an arrest. This is unfair to accused parties because they are now responsible to prove their innocence even though they may not have committed the crime for which they have been arrested. If you have been charged with domestic violence, it is important that you do not speak with police. Your court strategy may depend on it.
Some defenses that could be invoked include:
- Harm was unintentional: Being accused of domestic violence can come from different parties other than victims, many of whom were not present. Their accusations may not represent the truth and could incriminate you for something that legitimately did not happen.
- Unawareness of what happened: Sometimes damage occurs when people are horsing around. This should not constitute a lifetime of criminal consequences.
- No harm actually occurred: People have been accused of domestic violence without cause before. It is crucial that you obtain the right witness statements and medical reports to demonstrate that the alleged offense did not actually take place.
- Self-defense: If you are being attacked and your defense causes harm to another person, this is not a cause for a criminal conviction. It is important that you demonstrate the other person’s involvement if they provoked a response that resulted in harm.
How The Law Office of Jonathan B. Ripps Firm Can Help
These kinds of allegations are not to be taken lightly. A conviction of domestic violence can result in felony sentencing, costing you thousands of dollars and even years spent behind bars. Our firm is here to help you tell your side of the story and prevent serious consequences in the years ahead. Attorney Jonathan B. Ripps takes the time to learn the facts of what happened and build effective strategies to help you obtain the best possible outcome.
Call (845) 209-0223 now and get started on your case with a free, no-obligation legal consultation with our firm. We are available 24/7!
Experience You Can Count On
Attorney Jonathan B. Ripps is a Former Assistant District Attorney. This gives him the upper hand as he has a clear understanding of both sides of the law.
Free Initial Consultation
At The Law Office of Jonathan B. Ripps, we offer free initial consultations to get a better understanding of your case and to make sure our firm is a good fit for you.
The Law Office of Jonathan B. Ripps prides itself on putting clients first. We work hard to make sure every client receives excellent communication and the personalized attention.
Exceptional Track Record of Success
Attorney Jonathan B. Ripps has successfully handled thousands of cases including those of celebrities.
Over Two Decades of Legal Experience
For over 20 years our firm has fought to protect the accused and those injured due to the negligence of others.
Accessible to Clients 24/7
We understand that time is of the essence. That is why our firm is available 24/7 to best serve the needs of our clients.